ETSU 61, Morgan St. 72Nov 20, 2009 - 3:02 AM BALTIMORE (AP) -- Reggie Holmes scored a career-high 30 points and Morgan State beat East Tennessee State 72-61 on Thursday night.
Holmes was 9-for-18 from the field, including 4-for-9 on 3-point attempts for the Bears (3-0). He also had three steals. Rodney Stokes added 12 points for the defending Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champions.
The Bears led by as many as 18 points in the first half and built a 22-point advantage in the second half before the Buccaneers began to chip away.
Tommy Hubbard had 19 points and 10 rebounds for the Buccaneers (1-2), playing their second of three straight games against 2009 NCAA tournament participants.
Justin Tubbs added 16 points for the Buccaneers, who were without preseason all-Atlantic Sun Conference pick Mike Smith. The senior guard has missed the first three games with a knee injury.
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- N.C. Central downs Morgan State in MEAC title game Mar 16
- Eagles and Bears clash in MEAC title tilt Mar 15
- Oregon cruises past Morgan State Dec 29
- Morgan State faces unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Oregon Dec 29
- Smith powers Buckeyes past Morgan State Nov 9
- Bears battle Buckeyes in season opener Nov 9
- NC A&T wins MEAC Mar 16
- MEAC crown up for grabs in clash between Aggies and Bears Mar 16
- No. 4 Arizona blasts East Tennessee State Dec 23
- Bucs seek upset of fourth-ranked Wildcats Dec 22
- North Carolina crushes East Tennessee State Dec 9