South Florida holds off Davidson 65-58Nov 20, 2009 - 2:32 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Augustus Gilchrist scored 21 points, 19 in the second half, to lead South Florida to a 65-58 victory over Davidson in the first round of the Charleston Classic on Thursday night.
The Bulls (3-0) will play at 9:30 p.m. Friday. Davidson (0-2) will play against Penn State at 7 p.m. Friday.
South Florida led by as many as 12 points in the second half, but Davidson cut the lead to two with 57.8 seconds to play.
Gilchrist made 5 of 6 free throws in the final 37 seconds to help the Bulls hold on.
South Florida led 28-23 after shooting 36.7 percent from the field.
Davidson shot 30.8 percent from the field and committed 10 turnovers, including five consecutive during a 3-minute sequence in the first half that saw South Florida push out to an 11-point lead, its biggest of the half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH FLORIDA 28 37 65
DAVIDSON 23 35 58 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SOUTH FLORIDA - AUGUSTUS GILCHRIST 21, DOMINIQUE JONES
17, CHRIS HOWARD 9
DAVIDSON - WILL ARCHAMBAULT 14, BRYANT BARR 13,
STEVE ROSSITER 10
Nov 19 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH FLORIDA 28
DAVIDSON 23 HALFTIME
Nov 19 7:52 PM
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- White dominates as Iowa downs Davidson Mar 21
- South Region pits Hawkeyes against Wildcats Mar 20
- VCU beats Davidson to reach A-10 title game Mar 14
- Rams and Wildcats collide in A-10 bout Mar 14
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- Davidson hands No. 22 Dayton first A-10 loss Jan 20
- Davidson hosts No. 22 Dayton Jan 20
- VCU holds off Davidson Jan 8
- Rams butt heads with Wildcats in A-10 matchup Jan 7
- UVa shakes off slow start, downs Davidson Dec 30