Loyola of Chicago rallies to beat Holy Cross 76-73Nov 21, 2009 - 5:02 AM WORCESTER, Mass.(AP) -- Aric Van Weelden hit a 3-pointer as time expired to lift Loyola of Chicago to a 76-73 victory over Holy Cross on Friday night.
Trailing 73-65 with 1:05 left, the Ramblers (2-1) scored the final 11 points of the game.
The winless Crusaders (0-3) led 34-30 at halftime and increased their lead to 45-36 with 15:50 left.
Loyola used a 10-2 spurt to pull within 47-46 with 12:09 left. The Ramblers again trailed by one at 64-63 with 3:24 left, and Holy Cross went on a 9-2 run to go back up by eight. The Ramblers hit their last four shots in the final minute while the Crusaders missed all four of their free throw attempts.
Walt Gibler led Loyola with 17 points and eight rebounds. Marcus Thomas added 16 points on 5-for-7 shooting from 3-point range. The Ramblers were 12-for-22 from beyond the arc.
Andrew Beinert led Holy Cross with 17 points, six rebounds and six assists.
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Warhawks and Ramblers clash in CBI championship series Mar 30
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7
- MVC semifinals pits Panthers against Ramblers Mar 7
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- No. 11 UNI rolls past Loyola of Chicago Feb 18
- Ramblers welcome 11th-ranked Panthers to town Feb 18