Mississippi State beats Bethune-Cookman 67-51Nov 22, 2009 - 2:19 AM STARKVILLE, Miss.(AP) -- Jarvis Varnado scored 10 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and became the all-time leading shot-blocker in the Southeastern Conference as Mississippi State beat Bethune-Cookman 67-51 on Saturday night.
With four blocks, Varnado reached 413 to pass Shaquille O'Neal of LSU (1989-92) with 412.
The Bulldogs (2-1) jumped out to a 5-0 lead on a Varnado dunk, but Bethune-Cookman (1-3) pulled ahead 14-13 on a 3-pointer from Albert Abrahams.
With 6:45 left in the first half, Varnado blocked his first shot and Mississippi State led 31-24 at halftime.
By the time Varnado blocked his record-breaking shot with 10:15 left, the Bulldogs were ahead 46-36.
Ravern Johnson, Barry Stewart and Dee Bost scored 10 points apiece for the Bulldogs, who shot 42.9 percent from the field (24-for-56) and 8-for-20 from 3-point range.
Abrahams had 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Wildcats.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 51
MISSISSIPPI ST 67 FINAL
Nov 21 8:44 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 24
MISSISSIPPI ST 31 HALFTIME
Nov 21 7:48 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25
- Arkansas holds on for 6th straight win Feb 21