Canisius beats St. Francis 79-69Nov 21, 2009 - 10:00 PM NEW YORK(AP) -- Frank Turner scored 27 points to lead Canisius to a 79-69 win over St. Francis (N.Y.) on Saturday.
Turner, who finished 9-for-11 from the field, also dished out seven assists, grabbed six rebounds and had four steals for the Golden Griffins (1-1). Greg Logins chipped in with 13 points and Julius Coles had 11.
Canisius led by just three points at the half, but outscored the Terriers (0-3) 42-35 in the second half.
The Golden Griffins shot 47.5 percent from the field (28-for-59) in the game compared to just a 38.6-percent mark (22-for-57) for St. Francis.
Both schools hit 19 free throws, but the Golden Griffins sank theirs on 24 attempts versus 29 tries for the Terriers.
Ricky Cadell scored 22 points and Akeem Bennett had 21 for the Terriers.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18
- Terriers take on Orange in Maui Invitational regional action Nov 18
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2