Gamble sparks Winthrop over S.C.-Upstate 49-46Nov 22, 2009 - 12:12 AM ROCK HILL, S.C.(AP) -- Gideon Gamble's 3-pointer with 53 seconds left to play sent Winthrop to a 49-46 victory over South Carolina-Upstate on Saturday.
Gamble, whose key basket for the Eagles (2-1) erased a one-point lead by the Spartans (1-2), also made 1 of 2 free throws with 2 seconds left for the final margin. He came off the bench to finish with 12 points, the only Winthrop player in double figures.
The Spartans led by 13 points, 41-28, with 6:17 left before the Eagles went on a 13-0 run.
Nick Schneiders and Mezie Uzochukwu scored 13 points each to lead South Carolina-Upstate.
Both teams' shooting was way off the mark in the first half, which ended with South Carolina-Upstate leading 18-14. The Spartans made 6 of 28 shots (21.4 percent) and the Eagles were 5-for-28 (17.9 percent).
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16