Belmont defeats Alabama State 78-42Nov 22, 2009 - 4:18 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Keaton Belcher scored a career-high 17 points and Belmont defeated Alabama State 78-42 on Saturday night.
The Bruins (1-3), who never trailed, jumped out to a 10-0 lead on two free throws by Scott Saunders with 14:46 left in the first half.
Belcher was 6 of 9 from the field and the Bruins finished with a 50.9 shooting percentage (27 of 53).
Mick Hedgepeth tallied 11 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks, and Saunders added 13 points for Belmont.
The Bruins, who outscored Alabama State 41-19 in the second half, held the Hornets to 23.2 percent from the field in the game (13 of 56).
Belmont outrebounded Alabama State 42-28 with Belcher and Keron Johnson grabbing six boards each.
The Hornets were led by Tramayne Moorer with 12 points and Tramaine Butler with 11.
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21
- Belmont shocks No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17
- Belmont battles No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17
- Lyons, Arizona down Belmont in West Region second round Mar 22
- Belmont tangles with Arizona in West Regional action Mar 20