UNLV beats Southern Illinois 78-69Nov 22, 2009 - 5:38 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Tre'Von Willis scored a career-high 25 points to lead UNLV over Southern Illinois 78-69 in the Mountain West Conference-Missouri Valley Conference Challenge on Saturday night.
Willis, who had 18 second-half points, was 8 of 11 from the field and 7 of 7 from the free-throw line. He also had seven rebounds and four assists. Matt Shaw added 13 points, while Derrick Jasper had 11 points and seven rebounds for the Rebels (3-0).
Tony Freeman led Salukis (2-1) with 14 points and seven rebounds. Nick Evans had 12 points and John Freeman had 11 points and five rebounds.
UNLV shot 77.3 percent (17 of 22 ) in the second half.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27