Portland State turns back Cal Poly 92-83Nov 22, 2009 - 5:21 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- Dominic Waters scored 32 points to lead Portland State to a 92-83 win over Cal Poly on Saturday night.
Melvin Jones added 16 points for the Vikings (1-3), who gave coach Tyler Geving his first career victory. Jamie Jones scored 13 points and Phil Nelson had 11.
Lorenzo Keeler led Cal Poly (0-3) with 20 points. Will Donahue added 14 points and Charles Anderson had 13 off the bench.
PSU led by as many as 13 points in the first half before Cal Poly rallied in the second half to take a 71-70 lead with 7:01 left to play. The Vikings regained the lead on a Waters jumper with 6:28 remaining and held off the Mustangs down the stretch.
Portland State shot 67 percent from the field and held Cal Poly to 40-percent shooting.The Mustangs outrebounded PSU 31-20.
- No. 8 Gonzaga tops Cal Poly Dec 21
- Bulldogs take on Mustangs in Battle in Seattle Dec 20
- Shockers crush Cal Poly, move to 35-0 Mar 22
- Shockers tip off tourney run against Mustangs Mar 21
- Cal Poly shuts down Texas Southern to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Mustangs and Tigers duke it out for spot in field of 64 Mar 19
- Cal Poly clinches Big West, first NCAA berth Mar 16
- Big West championship game pits Mustangs against Matadors Mar 15
- Oregon routs Cal Poly Dec 2
- Cal Poly seeks upset of No. 14 Oregon Dec 1
- Gordon leads No. 6 Arizona past Cal Poly Nov 9
- No. 6 Arizona begins season against Cal Poly Nov 8