Notre Dame beats Liberty 91-72, Harangody has 32Nov 23, 2009 - 2:14 AM By TOM COYNE AP Sports Writer
SOUTH BEND, Ind.(AP) -- Luke Harangody scored 32 points, making all 10 of his free throws, to lead Notre Dame to a 91-72 victory over Liberty on Sunday in the Chicago Invitational Challenge.
The Flames (1-4) were able to keep the game close throughout the first half, trailing 47-39 at halftime, but Harangody scored three straight baskets to cap a 9-0 run early in the second half and give the Irish (4-0) a 56-40 lead.
Not long after that, the Irish used a 10-0 run to open a 77-49 lead on a pair of free throws by Tory Jackson.
Kyle Ohman led Liberty with 13 points, Evan Gordon scored 12 and David Minaya had 11. Tim Abromaitis and Tyrone Nash had 12 points each for Notre Dame.
Harangody scored 20 points in the first half on 4-of-7 shooting, then made his first five shots from the floor to open the second half. He finished 10-of-14 from the floor and added nine rebounds. The Irish had a 38-32 rebounding advantage and outscored the Liberty 40-28 in the paint.
The Irish also forced 12 turnovers in the second half and 19 for the game, leading to 23 Notre Dame points off turnovers. Jackson had three steals for the Irish and Ohman had six turnovers for Liberty.
The game gave Irish coach Mike Brey a chance to get more time for some reserves, as 10 of the 12 players who got in for Notre Dame scored.
Notre Dame used runs of 10-2 and 7-1 in the first half to move ahead 35-25 when Ben Hansbrough hit a 3-pointer with 5:45 left in the first half.
Chris McMasters and Patrick Konan added 10 points each for Liberty and McMasters finished with seven rebounds.
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17