UC Riverside holds off San Jose State 70-66Nov 23, 2009 - 1:40 AM RIVERSIDE, Calif.(AP) -- Kyle Austin finished with 20 points and 14 rebounds and UC Riverside held off a second-half charge by San Jose State in a 70-66 victory Sunday.
Brandon Dowdy added 14 points and Larry Gurganious 11 for the Highlanders (2-2), who blew a 10-point, second-half lead before pulling out the win.
Adrian Oliver and Mac Peterson led the Spartans (1-2) with 17 points each and Justin Graham added 15.
Riverside led 45-35 with 13:29 to go, but San Jose State then went on a 17-6 run to go ahead 52-51. After three more lead changes, the Highlanders reclaimed the lead for good and scored 11 of their final 17 points from the free-throw line.
Riverside shot 49.1 percent while San Jose State hit just 38.6 percent of its shots.
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- No. 13 San Diego State dominates San Jose State Feb 26
- Aztecs tangle with Spartans in MWC affair Feb 25
- No. 7 SDSU routs San Jose State Jan 23
- Aztecs and Spartans mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 22
- San Jose State hires Dave Wojcik as basketball coach Mar 29
- San Jose State fires men's hoops coach Mar 13
- No. 25 Louisiana Tech downs San Jose State for 18th-straight win Mar 3
- Spartans seek upset of 25th-ranked Bulldogs Mar 2