Virginia Tech tops Campbell 71-60Nov 24, 2009 - 2:23 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
BUIES CREEK, N.C.(AP) -- J.T. Thompson scored a season-high 17 points and Virginia Tech pulled away late for a 71-60 victory against Campbell on Monday night.
Malcolm Delaney shook off a rough shooting night to finish with 15 points and reach the 1,000-point mark for his career with the Hokies (3-0).
Virginia Tech shot 44 percent, had a tough time with a mid-major for the second straight game and were without centerpiece forward Jeff Allen for much of the way with foul trouble. But they came up with enough timely plays to help coach Seth Greenberg claim second place on the school's career victories list (110).
Jonathan Rodriguez had 19 points on 7-for-10 shooting and Junard Hartley added 10 for the Camels (3-1).
The Camels played host to an Atlantic Coast Conference school for the first time and hung tough for most of the way before falling to 1-27 all-time against the league.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 71
CAMPBELL 60 FINAL
Nov 23 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 33
CAMPBELL 31 HALFTIME
Nov 23 7:49 PM
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- No. 2 North Carolina's game at Virginia Tech moved to 3 p.m. Jan 23
- Virginia Tech Hokies deeper in Buzz Williams 2nd season Oct 26
- Virginia Tech Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Hokies leading scorer Smith to transfer Mar 26
- Brogdon, Virginia top Va Tech Feb 28
- Hokies and Cavaliers meet in Old Dominion State showdown Feb 28
- Duke survives Virginia Tech in OT Feb 26
- No. 4 Duke take on Virginia Tech in ACC tilt Feb 25
- No. 2 Virginia rallies past Virginia Tech Jan 25
- Rivals meet in ACC affair Jan 25
- Notre Dame crushes overmatched Virginia Tech Jan 23