Pitt advances to CBE title game with 68-55 victoryNov 24, 2009 - 3:02 AM By JOHN MARSHALL AP Sports Writer
KANSAS CITY, Mo.(AP) -- Redshirt freshman Travon Woodall had 19 points and Ashton Gibbs added 18, leading Pittsburgh to a gritty 68-55 win over Wichita State in the semifinals of the CBE Classic on Monday night at the Sprint Center.
Pitt (4-0) labored through its first away game, shooting 55 percent in the second half to pull away down the stretch. Woodall had six rebounds, five assists and four steals to offset six turnovers, sending the Panthers to Tuesday's championship game against No. 3 Texas or Iowa.
Wichita State (2-1) stayed close into the second half behind a loud pro-Shockers crowd and the shooting of Toure Murry but was hurt by 37 percent shooting in the first half and 24 turnovers. Murry had 20 points and J.T. Durley added 15.
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 55
PITTSBURGH 68 FINAL
Nov 23 9:41 PM
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 21
PITTSBURGH 32 0:00 LEFT, 1ST HALF
Nov 23 8:26 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18