Eastern Kentucky beats UC-Irvine 67-57Nov 25, 2009 - 1:25 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Justin Stommes scored 21 points to lead four Eastern Kentucky players in double figures as the Colonels beat California-Irvine 67-57 on Tuesday night.
Stommes, who came into the game averaging 19 points per game, has scored 20 points or more in three of the Colonels' four games this season.
Josh Taylor added 16 points, Joshua Jones 12 and Josh Daniel 10 for the Colonels (3-1) in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Classic. Eastern Kentucky's only loss came on the road to Pittsburgh.
Stommes shot 7-for-12 from the floor, and hit 7 of 8 free throws. Jones was 2-for-4 on 3-pointers, and was 6-for-6 from the foul line.
Both teams grabbed 30 rebounds, but the Colonels capitalized on 16 Anteaters' turnovers. The Colonels led 31-23 at halftime and outscored the Anteaters 36-34 in the second half.
Mike Wilder scored 18 points to pace the Anteaters (2-3), who never led in the game.
- Louisville edges UC Irvine, avoids upset Mar 20
- Anteaters hope to sniff out victory against seasoned Cardinals Mar 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Arizona runs away from UC Irvine Nov 20
- No. 2 Arizona plays host to UC Irvine Nov 19
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21