Savannah St. beats W. Illinois 52-48Nov 25, 2009 - 3:06 AM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Tracy Rankins scored 13 points and Patrick Hardy added 10 to help Savannah State hold off Western Illinois 52-48 on Tuesday night.
The game was close throughout the second half, and James Granstra's layup with 21 seconds left pulled the Leathernecks to within 49-48. But Arnold Lewis hit one of two free throws 13 seconds later to extend the Tigers lead, and Rankins hit both of his with 1 second left for the final margin.
Rankins finished 4-for-4 from the floor and 5-for-6 from the foul line for the Tigers (3-2), who rebounded from losses to North Florida and No. 18 Georgetown in their last two games.
The Tigers trailed by two points at halftime, but shot 61 percent (11-for-18) in the second half while outscoring the Leathernecks 31-25.
Ceola Clark paced Western Illinois (2-3) with 15 points.
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12
- No. 7 Florida gets by Savannah State as Boynton exits early Nov 20
- Savannah State challenges No. 7 Florida Nov 20