Brown beats Bryant on last-second shot 70-68Nov 26, 2009 - 12:09 AM SMITHFIELD, R.I.(AP) -- Garrett Leffelman hit a last-second layup to lift Brown to a 70-68 victory over Bryant on Wednesday as the Bears denied the Bulldogs their first win of the season.
Matt Mullery's free throw gave Brown (3-3) a 68-63 lead with 1:41 left. Adam Parzych then hit two free throws for Bryant and Nick Pontes tied the score on a three-point play with 40 seconds on the clock.
Brown held the ball until 6 seconds remained, then missed two shots. Leffelman scored off an offensive rebound and was fouled on the play, but missed both of his free throws.
Bryant (0-5) jumped out to an 19-5 lead and led 38-28 at halftime. The Bears used an 11-0 run to pull ahead 55-52 and stretched the lead to nine, but Bulldogs tied it again with a 10-1 run.
Mullery led the Bears with 21 points and Peter Sullivan added 17.
Cecil Gresham had 16 and Barry Latham scored 14 for Bryant.
- NCAA BB
BRYANT 68 FINAL
Nov 25 5:56 PM
- NCAA BB
BRYANT 38 HALFTIME
Nov 25 4:49 PM
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Robert Morris cruises past Bryant 89-71 Feb 6
- Robert Morris never trails in 65-54 win over Bryant Jan 23
- Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown back for No. 10 SMU Jan 11
- Larry Brown not on No. 15 SMU bench after halftime Jan 10
- SMU's Brown set for return after 9-game NCAA suspension Dec 21
- SMU opener marks start of Larry Brown's NCAA suspension Nov 12
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12
- Cal freshmen stars Brown, Rabb focused on school first Oct 29
- Top recruit Jaylen Brown picks Cal May 1
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19