Jones leads Miami past Florida Gulf Coast 77-58Nov 26, 2009 - 2:46 AM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- DeQuan Jones scored a career-high 16 points to pace Miami in a 77-58 victory over Florida Gulf Coast on Wednesday night.
James Dews added 15 on five 3-pointers and Malcolm Grant also scored in double figures with 14 for the Hurricanes (6-0), who are off to best start since 2007-08, when they were 12-0.
Miami went on a 12-2 run to start the game, keyed by a pair of 3-pointers by Dews, and took a 39-23 lead into halftime.
Baskets by Jones and Durand Scott in the opening minute of the second half stretched the lead to 20 points.
Three-point shooting proved to be the difference as the Hurricanes hit 13 on 36 attempts from behind the arc, compared to the Eagles, who were 1-for-13 from 3-point range.
Florida Gulf Coast (0-4) was led by Anthony Banks with 15 points.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27