Anderson, Richmond edge Mississippi State 63-62Nov 28, 2009 - 1:25 AM SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas(AP) -- Junior guard Kevin Anderson scored with less than 30 seconds remaining to give Richmond a 63-62 victory over Mississippi State on Friday in the semifinals of the South Padre Island Invitational.
Richmond ran out to a 13-2 lead fueled by strong three-point shooting.
The Spiders hit 6 of 11 from long range in the first half. Two Richmond forwards, junior Justin Harper and senior Ryan Butler, each scored nine points in the half.
But Mississippi State reeled in Richmond later in the first half behind strong shooting from junior guard Ravern Johnson, who had 10 by intermission. The Bulldogs hit a string of five 3-pointers and ended the half trailing 35-32.
The Bulldogs took their first lead with less than eight minutes remaining in the game.
Butler led all scorers with 19 points.
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 62 FINAL
Nov 27 8:04 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 32 HALFTIME
Nov 27 6:54 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25