James Madison sneaks past UMBC 53-51Nov 29, 2009 - 2:36 AM HARRISONBURG, Va.(AP) -- Julius Wells scored 18 points and James Madison defeated Maryland-Baltimore County 53-51 on Saturday night.
Wells shot 7-for-15 from the field, including four 3-pointers for the Dukes (3-2).
James Madison led 45-43 with 8 minutes to play when they went on a 7-0 run. Two free throws from Desmond Thornton made the score 52-43 with 2:29 remaining.
The Retrievers responded with an 8-0 run, and a jumper by Robbie Jackson cut the lead to 52-51 with 33 seconds left.
The Dukes made only 1 of 3 free throws in their final two possessions, but the Retrievers failed to capitalize, missing two jumpers to end the game.
UMBC (0-5) was led by Jackson, who scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
The Retrievers outrebounded James Madison 41-32, but shot only 31 percent from the field (18-for-58).
- NCAA BB
JMU 53 FINAL
Nov 28 8:59 PM
- NCAA BB
JMU 33 HALFTIME
Nov 28 7:56 PM
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Buckeyes beat up on Dukes Nov 28
- Virginia cruises past JMU in opener Nov 15
- Instate foes collide as Cavs take on Dukes Nov 14
- Virginia takes care of James Madison Nov 9
- No. 24 Virginia opens season against James Madison Nov 8
- Ferrell fuels Hoosiers in rout of James Madison Mar 22
- Top-seed Indiana takes on James Madison in East Regional play Mar 21
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20
- James Madison wins CAA crown, ends NCAA tourney drought Mar 12