Northern Iowa gets past Northern Illinois 52-45Nov 29, 2009 - 4:23 AM CEDAR FALLS, Iowa(AP) -- Adam Koch scored 15 points and Kwadzo Ahelegbe added 13 as Northern Iowa defeated Northern Illinois 52-45 on Saturday night.
Both teams struggled offensively. The Huskies shot only 32.7 percent (17 of 52) while the Panthers weren't much better at 34.0 percent (16 of 47). The teams combined for only nine assists.
Northern Iowa (4-1) took advantage of 19 turnovers by Northern Illinois (1-4) and outshot the Huskies at the free-throw line 27-8 - but made only 16.
Tony Nixon led the Huskies (1-4) with nine points.
The Panthers led 29-20 at halftime but didn't score again until Ahelegbe hit a free throw with 10:23 to go. They didn't relinquish the lead, though, as Northern Illinois scored only five points during their drought.
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 45
NORTHERN IOWA 52 FINAL
Nov 28 10:03 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 20
NORTHERN IOWA 29 HALFTIME
Nov 28 8:57 PM
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Northern Iowa claims Missouri Valley title Mar 8
- Redbirds tangle with Panthers for MVC Tournament title Mar 8
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7