Cornell defeats Vermont 67-59Nov 28, 2009 - 9:40 PM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds to help Cornell defeat Vermont 67-59 on Saturday.
Trailing 32-30 at halftime, Cornell (4-2) pulled ahead 36-34 on Ryan Wittman's jump shot with 17:32 to play in the Legends Classic.
Maurice Joseph made two free throws to tie the game on the Catamounts' next possession with 16:57 left.
But the Big Red (2-4) went on a 15-6 run to take a 51-42 lead on a tip-in by Mark Coury with 11:27 to play. Cornell increased their lead to as many as 15 points, 59-45 on a free throw by Jeff Foote with 8:36 remaining.
Cornell shot 44.4 percent from the field (20 of 45), while Vermont was 29.4 percent from 3-point range (5 of 17).
Foote, Louis Dale and Wittman scored 12 points apiece for the Catamounts. Chris Wroblewski and Geoff Reeves added 11 points each and Adam Wire had 13 rebounds for Vermont.
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Louisville wins again, chews up Cornell Nov 16
- No. 3 Louisville sets sights on Cornell Nov 15
- Syracuse starts year off right by rallying past Cornell Nov 8
- Eighth-ranked Orange open with Big Red Nov 8
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Harvard wins Ivy League Mar 9