Wells helps The Citadel rout Virginia-Wise 69-37Nov 29, 2009 - 3:32 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Cameron Wells scored 20 points as The Citadel routed Virginia-Wise 69-37 on Saturday night.
The Bulldogs (4-3) jumped out to an 18-4 lead and held the Highland Cavaliers to 24 percent shooting (6-for-25) in the first half en route to a 33-13 lead at the break in the Skip Prosser Classic.
With 14 first-half points, Wells outscored Virginia-Wise on his own. Joe Wolfinger added 16 points as 11 players scored for The Citadel.
For the game, the Bulldogs shot 41.8 percent (23-for-55) from the field, making 5 of 18 from 3-point range. Virginia-Wise shot 31.9 percent (15-for-47), going 2-for-12 from beyond the arc.
The Citadel forced 19 turnovers and won the rebounding battle 40-29.
The Highland Cavaliers, an NAIA school playing short-handed with only eight players dressed out, were led by Josh Jordan with 14 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Pance Kecev added 11 points.
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- Dahlman scores 18, Wofford beats The Citadel 75-66 Feb 27
- Furman defeats poor-shooting Citadel 59-44 Feb 25
- North Carolina-Greensboro beats The Citadel 59-53 Feb 20
- The Citadel defeats Western Carolina 73-56 Feb 18
- The Citadel beats Elon 77-72 Feb 13
- The Citadel tops College of Charleston 72-65 Feb 8
- The Citadel beats Chattanooga 68-60 Feb 6