Akron rallies to beat Niagara 80-68Nov 29, 2009 - 9:52 PM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Darryl Roberts scored 15 points to lead five Akron players in double figures in an 80-68 victory over Niagara on Sunday.
The Zips (4-2) outscored Niagara 57-37 in the second half to erase an eight-point halftime deficit and win their fourth consecutive game.
Niagara (4-3) led 42-41 on Tyrone Lewis' 3-pointer with 14:47 left in the game, but Steve McNees, who finished with 14 points, hit three 3-pointers in 2 minutes. Zeke Marshall scored on a layup to give the Zips a 52-45 lead with 12:25 left.
Akron didn't trail again, building its advantage to 80-65 on Jimmy Conyers' free throw with 15 seconds left.
Conyers finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds as the Zips outrebounded the Purple Eagles 42-31. Marshall added 12 and Nikola Cvetinovic scored 11 points for Akron.
Lewis led Niagara with 21 points, Bilal Benn added 17 and Demetrius Williamson scored 11 points.
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9