Appalachian State defeats Winthrop 70-51Dec 1, 2009 - 2:44 AM BOONE, N.C.(AP) -- Jeremi Booth scored 20 points as Appalachian State defeated Winthrop 70-51 on Monday night.
Donald Sims finished with 16 points for the Mountaineers (4-3), while Isaac Butts scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Andre Williamson also chipped in with 10 rebounds.
After forcing Winthrop to shoot only 19.2 percent from the field in the first half (5-for-26), Appalachian State led 34-17 at halftime.
In the second half, the Mountaineers used an early 7-0 run to take a 43-21 lead after a 3-pointer from Booth with 16:32 remaining. A separate 7-0 run later in the half gave Appalachian State a 29-point advantage, making the score 60-31 with 8:24 left.
The Eagles (2-3) were paced by George Valentine and Justin Burton, who scored seven points each.
Appalachian State shot 54.5 percent from the field (24-for-44).
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Fox named Appalachian State hoops coach Apr 8
- Appalachian State fires Capel Mar 10
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16
- No. 7 Ohio State overcomes slow start to down Winthrop Dec 18