Holy Cross beats Marist 68-56 for first winDec 1, 2009 - 3:08 AM WORCESTER, Mass.(AP) -- Mike Cavataio scored 19 points as Holy Cross defeated Marist 68-56 for the Crusaders first win of season on Monday night.
Cavataio added eight rebounds and Andrew Keister contributed 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Crusaders (1-6).
Holy Cross took an early 14-1 lead on a layup from R.J. Evans with 15:10 remaining in the first half. The Crusaders closed the first half with an 8-0 run, and led 36-18 at halftime.
Marist shot only 35 percent in the first half (7-for-20). The Red Foxes went on to trail by double digits for most of the game, and pulled no closer than eight points. Candon Rusin's 3-pointer with 1:57 left pulled the Red Foxes within 64-56.
The Red Foxes (0-4) were led by Daye Kaba and Rusin with 12 points apiece.
Holy Cross shot 57.9 from the field (22-for-38), including 61.5 percent in the first half (16-for-26).
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- Holy Cross shocks Harvard Nov 16
- Beantown brawl pits Crimson against Crusaders Nov 16
- Marist hires Maker to replace Bower Jun 17
- Holy Cross visits Brown to open CIT Mar 17
- Paige, No. 12 North Carolina hold off Holy Cross Nov 15
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels collide with Crusaders Nov 15
- Marist names Bower men's basketball coach Apr 11
- Holy Cross extends head coach Brown Jul 10