Kansas State grabs 83-76 win over Fort Hays StateDec 2, 2009 - 3:31 AM By JOHN MARSHALL AP Sports Writer
MANHATTAN, Kan.(AP) -- Jacob Pullen scored 16 of his 20 points in the second half and Kansas State overcame a sloppy first half to avoid a huge upset, pulling away down the stretch for an 83-76 victory over Division II Fort Hays State Tuesday night.
Kansas State (6-1) fell behind by 10 early in its own gym. The team missed its first nine 3-pointers and didn't get a comfortable lead until the closing minutes. Jamar Samuels had 21 points and Denis Clemente added 17 with six assists and five rebounds.
Fort Hays State (4-1) showed no signs of being intimidated by the Wildcats, fearlessly driving to the basket, calmly dropping in 3-pointers to give the Wildcats a harder-than-expected test. Willie Hassell had 17 points and seven assists to lead the Tigers.
- NCAA BB
FORT HAYS ST 76
KANSAS ST 83 FINAL
Dec 1 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
FORT HAYS ST 30
KANSAS ST 35 HALFTIME
Dec 1 9:04 PM
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1
- Wildcats play host to 12th-ranked Cyclones Feb 28
- K-State AD offers apology after court storming Feb 24
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Feb 24
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Feb 23
- Baylor pulls away from Kansas State Feb 21
- Kansas State comes calling on No. 20 Baylor Feb 21
- K-State tops OU to snap 5-game losing skid Feb 15