South Carolina defeats Western Kentucky 74-56Dec 3, 2009 - 2:26 AM COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 15 points to lead five South Carolina players in double figures as the Gamecocks defeated Western Kentucky 74-56 on Wednesday night.
Playing short-handed for the second straight game, South Carolina (6-1) went on a 21-4 run in the first half as five players connected on 3-pointers.
Brandis Raley-Ross hit a pair of 3-pointers and Ramon Galloway, Sam Muldrow and Downey also connected from long range during the stretch lasting more than 6 minutes.
The Gamecocks were 10-for-16 from the field in building a 15-point lead, but went 6-for-23 the remainder of the half.
Western Kentucky (2-3) opened the second half on an 11-5 run to pull within eight but could not get any closer.
Muldrow and Raley-Ross had 12 points apiece while Galloway and Evaldas Baniulis scored 11 each.
A.J. Slaughter led Western Kentucky with 12 points.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 74 FINAL
Dec 2 8:53 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WESTERN KENTUCKY 25 25
SOUTH CAROLINA 39 39 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
WESTERN KENTUCKY - STEFFPHON PETTIGREW 8, A.J. SLAUGHTER 4,
THREE PLAYERS WITH 3
SOUTH CAROLINA - RAMON GALLOWAY 9, EVALDAS BANIULIS 8,
BRANDIS RALEY-ROSS 8
Dec 2 7:47 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5
- South Carolina looks to rebound at home after tough stretch Jan 25