Nwankwo's dunk helps Towson edge UMBC 82-77Dec 3, 2009 - 2:56 AM TOWSON, Md.(AP) -- Josh Thornton scored 23 points and made seven 3-pointers as Towson defeated Maryland-Baltimore County 82-77 on Wednesday night.
The Tigers (2-3) led by as many as 15 points, and by 12 with 9:44 left, but didn't seal the win until Robert Nwankwo's dunk with 2 seconds left after Tony Franklin's steal from Chris De La Rosa. Nwankwo finished with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
A layup by Shawn Grant pulled the Retrievers (0-6) within 79-77 with 16 seconds left before Franklin made it 80-77 with a free throw at 0:14. Grant, a freshman guard, came off the bench to lead UMBC with 28 points, including 17 in the second half. He made 10 of his 14 shots.
Thornton had 17 points for Towson in the first half, including two on consecutive possessions that gave the Tigers a 10-3 lead at the 16:09 mark. Another of Thornton's 3-pointers gave Towson its 15-point lead, 39-24, at the 7:02 mark.
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- Wiggins leads Kansas past Towson Nov 22
- Towson hits road to challenge No. 2 Kansas Nov 22
- Towson's Skerry given contract extension Aug 15
- Poor shooting Hoyas overcome Towson Dec 8
- 15th-ranked Hoyas play host to Tigers Dec 8
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- No. 23 Virginia hangs on to beat Towson Dec 31
- Toothless Tigers pay visit to red-hot Cavaliers Dec 30
- Hoosiers stay hot in rout of UMBC Dec 22
- High-flying Hoosiers entertain hapless Retrievers Dec 22
- No. 17 Michigan handles Towson Nov 15