Balanced Charlotte tops East Carolina 80-68Dec 3, 2009 - 3:18 AM By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- DiJuan Harris had 17 points and six assists and Charlotte continued its impressive start to the season with an 80-68 victory over East Carolina on Wednesday night.
A year after going 11-20, the 49ers (5-1) used their newfound depth to hold off a late charge from their former conference rival for their third straight win.
Seven players scored at least six points for Charlotte, which led by as many as 19 points in the second half in the first meeting between the teams since Charlotte left Conference USA for the Atlantic 10 in 2005.
Brock Young scored 24 points for the Pirates (3-5), who could get no closer than seven points in the closing minutes as their two-game winning streak was snapped.
Charlotte didn't need a big game from Boston College transfer Shamari Spears, who was held to 12 points after scoring at least 20 points in his past four games.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EAST CAROLINA 33 35 68
CHARLOTTE 46 34 80 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: EAST CAROLINA - BROCK YOUNG 24, JONTAE SHERROD 13,
CHAD WYNN 10
CHARLOTTE - DIJUAN HARRIS 17, SHAMARI SPEARS 12,
PHIL JONES 10
Dec 2 10:09 PM
- NCAA BB
EAST CAROLINA 33
CHARLOTTE 46 HALFTIME
Dec 2 8:56 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- Charlotte shocks Michigan to win Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 24