Coastal Carolina defeats VMI 111-97Dec 4, 2009 - 4:52 AM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Danny Nieman scored 22 points and Joseph Harris had 20 points and 10 rebounds to lead Coastal Carolina to a 111-97 victory over Virginia Military Institute in the Big South Conference opener on Thursday night.
Kierre Greenwood added 20 points as the Chanticleers (6-2) went 49-for-86 from the field (57 percent) and won for the fifth time in six games.
VMI (3-3), which entered leading the nation in scoring at 93.2 points a game, was led by Austin Kenon, who scored 31 points.
Coastal Carolina went on an 11-2 run in the second half to take a 70-61 lead with 14:28 left. Chad Gray scored the first two baskets and Logan Johnson hit a 3-pointer for the Chanticleers.
Gray added 14 points and 10 rebounds and Chris Evans scored 10 for Coastal Carolina.
Michael Sparks scored 18 and Keith Gabriel added 17 for VMI. Ron Burks added 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
COASTL CAROLINA 111
VMI 97 FINAL
Dec 3 11:02 PM
- NCAA BB
COASTL CAROLINA 53
VMI 51 HALFTIME
Dec 3 9:55 PM
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Wisconsin eases past Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Chanticleers face tall task in second-round clash with Badgers Mar 20
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Virginia survives scare from Coastal Carolina Mar 22
- Virginia begins tournament run against Coastal Carolina Mar 21
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9