St. Francis defeats Wagner 69-42Dec 4, 2009 - 2:25 AM LORETTO, Pa.(AP) -- Devin Sweetney scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to help St. Francis (Pa.) defeat Wagner 69-42 on Thursday night.
The Red Flashes (2-5, 1-0 Northeast Conference) scored 22 points off of 20 Seahawks' turnovers and held Wagner to just 17.9 percent shooting in the second half (5 of 28).
St. Francis trailed 25-20 with 4:05 left until halftime before closing out the half on a 14-1 run. Sweetney, who scored six points during the run, gave St. Francis a 34-26 halftime lead on a layup with 27 seconds left.
Michael Orock brought the Seahawks within 41-30 with 15:20 left to play. But St. Francis scored 10 straight points as part of a 20-1 run for its largest lead, 61-31, on a jump shot by Umar Shannon with 8:13 remaining.
Anthony Ervin added 16 points for the Red Flash, who snapped a five game losing streak.
Wagner (0-5, 0-1) was led by Chris Martin with 17 points.
- Top-seeded Wagner tops Robert Morris 59-50 in NEC tourney Mar 2
- Wagner beats Robert Morris 62-54 behind Carey Feb 27
- Wagner edges Robert Morris 72-69 Jan 4
- Texas breezes past St. Francis Nov 26
- Longhorns put perfect mark on line versus Red Flash Nov 25
- No. 8 Syracuse downs Wagner in home opener Nov 18
- Wagner takes on No. 8 Syracuse Nov 18
- St. Francis (PA) names Krimmel head men's basketball coach Apr 19
- Bashir Mason takes over Wagner hoops Mar 26
- Hurley leaving Wagner for Rhode Island Mar 20
- Report: Hurley leaving Wagner for Rhode Island Mar 20
- Moore, No. 15 Pitt cruise to ninth straight victory Dec 20