UAB defeats East Tennessee State 74-52Dec 5, 2009 - 3:55 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Elijah Millsap scored 15 points and grabbed 11 rebounds and Kenneth Cooper scored 11 points and had 10 rebounds in Alabama-Birmingham's 74-52 win over East Tennessee State on Friday night.
The Blazers (8-1) won the rebounding battle 52-28 and outscored the Buccaneers 22-5 in second-chance points.
UAB won its seventh straight game as it honored former coach Gene Bartow by playing the inaugural Bartow Classic. Bartow's son, Murray, is East Tennessee's coach.
The Blazers led 37-25 at halftime as they opened to a 22-14 first-half rebounding advantage and scored 11 second-chance points.
Jamarr Sanders scored 17 points for UAB and George Drake chipped in 16.
The Buccaneers (4-5) were led by Mike Smith with 14 points. Justin Tubbs added 11 points and Isiah Brown grabbed 10 rebounds for East Tennessee, which lost for the third time in three meetings with UAB.
- NCAA BB
EAST TENN ST 52
UAB 74 FINAL
Dec 4 10:02 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
EAST TENNESSEE STATE 25 25
UAB 37 37 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
EAST TENNESSEE STATE - JUSTIN TUBBS 11, ISIAH BROWN 6, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 3
UAB - GEORGE DRAKE 10, JAMARR SANDERS 8, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 6
Dec 4 8:54 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- East Tennessee State tabs Forbes as new men's basketball coach Mar 31
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Paige, No. 20 UNC cruise to win over UAB Dec 27
- Tar Heels play host to Blazers Dec 27