Canisius defeats Loyola, Md. 70-65Dec 5, 2009 - 5:17 AM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Frank Turner scored 20 points to reach double figures for his 25th straight game as Canisius held off Loyola (Md.) 70-65 on Friday night in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opener for both teams.
Julius Coles added 18 points for the Golden Griffins (4-2), who won their MAAC opener for the first time since the 2002-03 season.
Brett Harvey scored 28 points for the Greyhounds (4-3) to reach 1,000 career points.
Canisius took a 28-15 lead with 4:42 left in the first half, but Loyola used a 13-5 run to trail 33-28 at halftime.
Jamal Barney hit a 3-pointer to tie the game at 46 with 9:37 left, then the Golden Griffins reeled off 13 straight points, including six by Turner and five by Coles.
The Greyhounds cut the deficit to four points twice in the final 33 seconds, but could get no closer. The Golden Griffins made 9 of 12 free throws in the last 1:24.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Late surge gets No. 13 UConn past Loyola Nov 27
- Greyhounds hoping to run past 13th-ranked Huskies Nov 26
- Loyola-Maryland promotes Smith to head coach Apr 12
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Report: Loyola-Maryland extends Patsos Mar 28
- Thomas pours in 31 as Ohio State routs Loyola-Maryland Mar 16
- Buckeyes battle Greyhounds to begin tournament run Mar 15