Montana defeats Northern Arizona, 71-54Dec 5, 2009 - 4:31 AM MISSOULA, Mont.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored 22 points on 8-for-11 shooting to lead Montana to a 71-54 victory over Northern Arizona Friday night in the Big Sky Conference opener for both teams.
Freshman Will Cherry added 10 points and five assists for the Grizzlies (5-2), who were coming off a tight 63-59 loss to No. 12 Washington in Seattle last weekend.
Montana shot 56 percent from the field on Friday and forced 17 Lumberjack turnovers.
Northern Arizona (2-4) cut Montana's lead to seven on a 3-point play from Shane Johannsen with 8:52 left, after the Grizzlies opened up a double-figure lead from a 34-31 halftime edge.
A pair of Montana 3-pointers from Michael Taylor and Raason Young put the game out of reach. The final 17-point margin was the biggest of the game.
Johannsen finished with 16 points to lead the Lumberjacks.
- Northern Arizona returns 4 players from CIT runner-up team Nov 4
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Arizona coach suspended for fracas in Big Sky tourney Mar 15
- Harvey, Eastern Washington rally past Montana for Big Sky crown Mar 14
- Grizzlies, Eagles engage in Big Sky title bout Mar 14
- Montana tabs DeCuire to replace Tinkle May 31
- Arizona rolls, remains unbeaten Dec 24
- Lumberjacks hope to chop down top-ranked Wildcats Dec 23
- Montana dismisses Coleman Jun 7
- Syracuse advances in rout of Montana Mar 22
- Orange set sights on Grizzlies in East Regional tilt Mar 20