Georgia State holds off James Madison 49-44Dec 5, 2009 - 9:49 PM HARRISONBURG, Va.(AP) -- Marques Johnson scored 13 points and Georgia State never trailed in the second half in a 49-44 victory over James Madison in the Colonial Athletic Association opener for both teams on Saturday.
Ousman Krubally added 10 points and 11 rebounds as the Panthers (5-4) held James Madison (4-3) without a field goal for the final 3:31 and hit five free throws in the final minute.
The score was tied at 40 before Krubally hit a layup and Johnson followed with a jumper to give Georgia State a 44-40 lead with 2:18 left in the game.
Julius Wells, who scored 13 points and had eight rebounds, hit two free throws to cut the lead to 44-42 with 1:26 to play, and Panthers extended the lead to 46-42 before the Dukes cut it to two again with 27 seconds left. Georgia State then sealed the win at the free throw line.
Dazzmond Thornton led James Madison with 16 points.
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- Georgia State's R.J. Hunter to enter NBA Draft Mar 30
- Xavier downs Georgia State, reaches Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Panthers seek another upset in clash with Musketeers Mar 21
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- Georgia State coach injured in celebration Mar 15
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Georgia State's Thomas declared ineligible Dec 8
- Buckeyes beat up on Dukes Nov 28