Stony Brook holds on 63-60 against ColumbiaDec 5, 2009 - 10:08 PM STONY BROOK, N.Y.(AP) -- Danny Carter scored 10 second-half points and Chris Martin finished with 18 in Stony Brook's 63-60 win over Columbia on Saturday.
The Seawolves (6-2) trailed 54-51 with 8:29 remaining and went on a 9-2 run for a 60-56 lead with 1:57 left on Martin's layup.
The Lions (3-4) cut the deficit to two on Asenso Ampim's layup, but Stony Brook responded with two free throws by Martin, pushing the lead back to four with 20 seconds left.
Columbia's Patrick Foley brought it within 62-60 on a layup with 11 seconds to play, but missed a game-tying jump shot 7 seconds later.
Carter's free throw with 1 second left sealed the game for the Seawolves, who are off to their best start since 1992-93.
Bryan Dougher and Carter finished with 12 points each and Tommy Brenton added 11 rebounds for the Seawolves.
Niko Scott and Noruwa Agho scored 12 points each for the Lions.
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 63 FINAL
Dec 5 4:00 PM
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 31 HALFTIME
Dec 5 2:50 PM
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28
- Seawolves head to land of Seahawks to test Huskies Dec 28
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10