The Citadel knocks off Georgia Southern 68-43Dec 5, 2009 - 11:01 PM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Zach Urbanus scored 20 points and The Citadel cruised to a 68-43 victory over Georgia Southern on Saturday.
The Bulldogs (6-4, 1-1 Southern Conference) won despite scoring only two points in the final 5:08, and those came on a pair of free throws with 8 seconds left. During the same stretch, the Eagles (3-6, 0-2) scored just six points after falling behind by as many as 30.
With Georgia Southern ahead 11-6 with 11:44 left in the first half, The Citadel took control and outscored the Eagles 27-9 the rest of the half. The Bulldogs opened the second half with a 9-1 run.
The Citadel was 10-for-22 from 3-point range and Georgia Southern was 3-for-11.
Urbanus was 5-for-7 from beyond the arc for the Bulldogs and Cameron Wells added 14 points.
Willie Powers and Ben Drayton III scored 10 points apiece for Georgia Southern, which committed 20 turnovers.
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1
- Georgia Southern dismisses Young after 4 seasons Mar 12
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6
- Chattanooga tops Georgia Southern 82-62 Mar 5
- The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournament Mar 5
- UNC-Greenboro holds off Georgia Southern 81-79 Mar 1
- Dahlman scores 18, Wofford beats The Citadel 75-66 Feb 27