Jacksonville State defeats Tennessee Tech 83-72Dec 6, 2009 - 1:26 AM JACKSONVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Nick Murphy didn't miss a shot on his way to 23 points and 10 rebounds and Jacksonville State opened Ohio Valley Conference play with an 83-72 victory over Tennessee Tech on Saturday.
Murphy, who entered the game averaging 12 points, was 6-for-6 from the field, including a 3-pointer, and 10-for-10 from the free throw line to help the Gamecocks (3-4) snap a three-game losing streak.
Behind Murphy and Trenton Marshall, who scored 25 points, Jacksonville State shot 63.6 percent from the field (14-for-22) in the second half and 54.3 percent (25-for-46) in the game.
Jacksonville State and Tennessee Tech (3-6) started the second half tied at 35, but the Gamecocks opened with a 10-2 run for a 45-37 lead.
The Gamecocks led 67-54 on Dominique Shellman's 3-pointer with 5:59 remaining.
Kevin Murphy and Elijah Muhammad each scored 13 points to lead Tennessee Tech.
- Jacksonville State's James Green out as basketball coach Mar 16
- Tennessee Tech overtakes Robert Morris in 85-72 win Nov 27
- Tennessee Tech rips Piedmont College, 110-72 Nov 14
- Louisville crushes Jacksonville St. in home opener Nov 17
- Louisville hosts Jacksonville State in Gobal Sports Showcase Nov 17
- Tennessee Tech no match for No. 24 Oklahoma State Dec 22
- Pokes put perfect home mark on line against Golden Eagles Dec 22
- No. 18 UNLV downs Jacksonville State Nov 18
- Rebels play host to Gamecocks in Global Sports Classic Nov 17
- Murray State routs Tennessee Tech in OVC semifinals Mar 2
- Golden Eagles hope to knock Racers out of OVC Tournament Mar 2
- Racers close out regular season with win over Tennessee Tech Feb 26