NC A&T beats Norfolk St. 93-84 in OTDec 6, 2009 - 2:15 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Tavarus Alston and Dwane Joshua scored 23 points apiece to lead North Carolina A&T past Norfolk State 93-84 in overtime in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference opener for both teams on Saturday night.
In overtime, Robert Johnson opened the frame with a pair of jumpers and Alston hit a 3-pointer during Norfolk State's 10-3 run for an 87-80 lead with 2:03 left. Alston went 2-for-2 from the free throw line in the final minute to help seal the win.
Alston sank three jumpers in the final 5 minutes of regulation, the last of which pulled the Aggies (4-5) even at 75 with 2:15 remaining. Joshua then gave the Aggies the lead on a layup with 1:14 left before Kyle O'Quinn's lay-in evened the score at 77-77.
Norfolk State's Brandon Wheeless missed a free throw with 10 seconds left in regulation for the win.
O'Quinn led the Spartans (1-7) with 25 points.
- NCAA BB
NC A&T 93
NORFOLK ST 83 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Dec 5 8:17 PM
- NCAA BB
NC A&T 37
NORFOLK ST 41 HALFTIME
Dec 5 6:56 PM
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- O'Neale's hot shooting powers Baylor past Norfolk St. Dec 30
- Norfolk State hits road to test No, 22 Baylor Dec 30
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past Norfolk State Nov 17
- Norfolk State pays visit to No. 9 Virginia Nov 16
- Evans leaving Norfolk State Apr 15
- Top-seeded Louisville cruises past N.C. A&T Mar 21
- Top-seeded Cardinals get tournament run underway against Aggies Mar 20
- Flame Out: NC A&T edges Liberty in Tourney opener Mar 19
- NCAA Tournament gets underway as Aggies take on Flames Mar 19