Cornell knocks off Saint Joseph's 78-66Dec 6, 2009 - 10:12 PM ITHACA, N.Y.(AP) -- Ryan Wittman scored 17 points to lead four players in double figures as Cornell defeated Saint Joseph's 78-66 on Sunday.
Chris Wroblewski and Jon Jaques added 15 points each for the Big Red (7-2), who have won five consecutive games and are off to their best start since going 8-1 in the 1967-68 season.
Cornell opened the second half on a 25-4 run to break open a halftime tie in its first home game since Nov. 20. The Big Red scored the first 12 points of the second half and led 50-34 on Jaques' layup with 14:08 remaining.
Wittman's 3-pointer gave Cornell a 53-34 advantage with 13:50 to play.
Geoff Reeves added 13 points for Cornell, which shot 60 percent from the field (18-for-30) in the second half.
Garrett Williamson scored 14 points and Darrin Govens had 10 for Saint Joseph's (3-4), which lost its fourth straight game.
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6
- No. 13 Gonzaga rips SJU Nov 20
- Hawks fly west to take on 13th-ranked Bulldogs Nov 19