Western Kentucky holds off Evansville 63-57Dec 9, 2009 - 3:59 AM BOWLING GREEN, Ky.(AP) -- Steffphon Pettigrew recorded a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds to lead Western Kentucky to a 63-57 victory over Evansville on Tuesday night.
The Hilltoppers (4-3) played the same type of game they have all season at home, starting slow but coming back in the final 10 minutes of the game to take the lead.
After Evansville (4-3) led 37-28 at halftime, the Purples Aces maintained it until a 3-pointer by A.J. Slaughter gave Western Kentucky its first lead since 19-17 at the 8:32 mark in the first half.
Leading 59-57 with 1:39 to play, Western Kentucky's Jeremy Evans blocked Jay Haarsma's layup by to preserve the lead. Anthony Sally and Evans both hit two free throws in the final 30 seconds to seal the win.
Evans also recorded a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Colt Ryan led Evansville with a career-high 23 points.
- NCAA BB
WKU 63 FINAL
Dec 8 10:07 PM
- NCAA BB
WKU 28 HALFTIME
Dec 8 8:54 PM
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Iowa handles Evansville Feb 25
- Purple Aces hope to play spoiler in clash with Panthers Feb 25
- Wichita State shuts down Evansville Feb 22
- Evansville comes calling on No. 13 Wichita State Feb 22
- No. 13 Wichita State silences Evansville Jan 17
- Purple Aces host 13th-ranked Shockers in MVC melee Jan 17
- Evansville tops No. 23 Northern Iowa Jan 1
- MVC action pits Panthers against Purple Aces Jan 1
- Shockers win MVC tourney opener, move to 32-0 Mar 7
- Shockers face Purple Aces in MVC Tournament play Mar 7