George leads Fresno State past Pepperdine 80-72Dec 9, 2009 - 5:37 AM MALIBU, Calif.(AP) -- Paul George scored 24 of his career-high-tying 29 points in the second half to lead Fresno State over Pepperdine 80-72 Tuesday night.
George, who originally signed a letter of intent with Pepperdine before landing at Fresno State (4-4), had 14 points, including four 3-pointers, during a 16-2 run to open the second half. That turned a 39-36 Pepperdine halftime lead into a 52-41 Bulldog advantage with 16 minutes to go in the game.
The Waves (3-6) regained the lead at 54-52 thanks to a 13-0 run, but Fresno State's Greg Smith had three slam dunks during an 8-1 spurt that put the Bulldogs in front to stay at 60-55 with eight minutes to go.
Pepperdine's Keion Bell had team highs of 24 points and seven assists. Dane Suttle Jr. added 15 points and Mychel Thompson had 11.
- NCAA BB
FRESNO ST 80
PEPPERDINE 72 FINAL
Dec 9 12:09 AM
- NCAA BB
FRESNO ST 36
PEPPERDINE 39 HALFTIME
Dec 8 10:57 PM
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18
- Cowboys visit Bulldogs in pivotal Mountain West clash Jan 17
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Siena downs Fresno State in CBI final Apr 5
- Bulldogs and Saints meet in CBI rubber match Apr 5