Smith, McFadden pace Iona over LIU 80-64Dec 10, 2009 - 4:48 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Kyle Smith scored 18 points and Mike McFadden 16 as Iona ended a two-game losing streak with an 80-64 win over Long Island University on Wednesday night.
The Gaels (5-4) used an 8-0 run early in the second half to build a 54-39 cushion.
The Blackbirds (4-4), who never led, got within 62-53 with 7:14 remaining before Iona began a 13-3 run that included a pair of 3-pointers by Trinity Fields and five consecutive points by Scott Machado.
Iona forced 21 turnovers and hit 11 3-pointers to overcome a 45-33 LIU advantage on the glass.
David Hicks scored 18 points and Kenny Onyechi 17 to lead LIU, and Onyechi blocked four shots.
The Blackbirds had a two-game winning streak ended.
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6