George Washington holds off Towson 73-69Dec 13, 2009 - 12:12 AM TOWSON, Md.(AP) -- Tony Taylor scored six of George Washington's last 10 points, including the tiebreaking basket, as the Colonials held off Towson 73-69 on Saturday.
George Washington (7-2), which is off to its best start since opening the 2005-06 season at 9-1, led 61-49 with 9:24 left. The Tigers (2-5) used a 9-0 run, capped by RaShawn Polk's 3-pointer, for a 61-58 lead with 6:36 left.
Towson's Josh Thornton tied it at 69 on a 3-pointer with 1:02 left.
Taylor, who scored all nine of his points in the second half, hit an 18-footer with 27 seconds left, then Thornton missed a 3-point attempt with 9 seconds to go. Aaron Ware's layup with 1 second remaining sealed the win.
Damian Hollis scored 13 points and was 4-for-4 from the field for the Colonials, and Tim Johnson added 12 points.
David Brewster had 16 points, Thornton added 14 and Robert Nwankwo had 13 rebounds for the Tigers.
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 73
TOWSON 69 FINAL
Dec 12 6:17 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 39
TOWSON 31 HALFTIME
Dec 12 5:05 PM
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- No. 9 UVA cruises past GW Nov 22
- Colonials seek upset of ninth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 21
- Skerry's contract extended through 2020 May 2
- GW's Lonergan gets contract extension Mar 28
- Memphis fends off George Washington Mar 21