Northwestern shoots past North Carolina A&T, 90-65Dec 14, 2009 - 12:31 AM EVANSTON, Ill.(AP) -- An 11-day layoff didn't seem to bother Northwestern and it certainly didn't bother freshman Drew Crawford, who scored a career-high 35 points, including eight 3-pointers, as Northwestern defeated North Carolina A&T 90-65 Sunday.
The Wildcats (7-1) won their sixth in a row, and their 20 3-pointers smashed the team record of 15, set in 2007 against Arkansas State.
With the score tied at 11-11, Northwestern went on a 12-2 run, as Crawford hit three 3-pointers and Nash one. The Wildcats went 13-of-25 in the first half from behind the arc in taking a 50-37 lead at the break.
Crawford had 24 points in the opening half, six on 3-pointers, topping his previous game-best of 22 points against Liberty, and far surpassing his 5.7-point average. He made his second 3-pointer just over six minutes into the game to beat that number.
For the game, Crawford was 12-for-17 from the field, 8-for-13 from 3-point range. The Wildcats also set a school record for 3-point attempts with 47. They tried 36 from behind the arc in a 2003 game against Ohio State.
Four Northwestern players scored in double figures, as Michael Thompson had 19, freshman Alex Marcotullio 11 and Jeremy Nash 10. Thompson had five 3-pointers, eight assists and five rebounds.
Thomas Coleman led the Aggies (4-6) with 16 points, while Robert Johnson and Tavarus Alston had 12 points apiece. It was the first meeting between the schools.
- Northwestern F Vic Law to miss season with shoulder injury Nov 11
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- Northwestern looks to make jump in Collins' third season Oct 27
- Northwestern at a glance Oct 27
- Northwestern rewards Collins with extension May 26
- Wisconsin dominates Northwestern Feb 7
- Wildcats and Badgers meet in Big Ten battle Feb 7
- Maryland pulls out comeback win over Northwestern Jan 25
- Wildcats hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Terrapins Jan 25
- No. 4 Wisconsin blows out Northwestern Jan 4
- Big Ten brawl pits Badgers against Wildcats Jan 4
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17