New Mexico State deals UTEP its first loss, 87-80Dec 14, 2009 - 5:03 AM EL PASO, Texas(AP) -- Jahmar Young scored 24 points and Hamidu Rahman added 12 points and 10 rebounds as New Mexico State handed UTEP its first loss, 87-80 Sunday night.
Gordo Castillo finished with 17 points and Jonathan Gibson 14 for the Aggies (3-5), who avenged a 79-58 Dec. 1 home loss to the Miners.
Randy Culpepper scored 24 and Jeremy Williams 14 for UTEP (5-1).
New Mexico State trailed by as many as 12 in the second half and 71-64 with 6:20 remaining. From there, the Aggies went on a 10-0 run to take their first lead since 33-31 and led the rest of the way. Hernst Laroche capped the outburst with a 3-pointer which gave New Mexico State a 74-71 advantage with 3:30 to play.
Culpepper hit a 3 to pull the Miners to within 79-77 with 45 seconds to go, but the Aggies then hit six straight free throws to put the game out of reach.
- NCAA BB
NEW MEXICO ST 87
UTEP 80 FINAL
Dec 13 11:16 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NEW MEXICO STATE 35 35
UTEP 45 45 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
NEW MEXICO STATE - JONATHAN GIBSON 12, TYRONE WATSON 7,
HAMIDU RAHMAN 5
UTEP - RANDY CULPEPPER 10, CHRISTIAN POLK 9,
JEREMY WILLIAMS 8
Dec 13 10:00 PM
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19