Santa Clara holds off Houston Baptist, 68-65Dec 15, 2009 - 4:17 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Niyi Harrison had 15 points and eight rebounds Monday night as Santa Clara defeated Houston Baptist 68-65 Monday night.
Five Santa Clara players scored in double figures. Robert Smith scored 12 points, and Marc Trasolini, Raymond Cowels and Ben Dowdell scored 11 each for the Broncos (6-4).
Santa Clara led 56-40 before Houston Baptist (1-9) started to come back. The Huskies closed in with an 11-2 run, and eventually got to within one point twice in the final 90 seconds. Smith made a pair of free throws with 17 seconds left to make it 68-65, and the Huskies' Andrew Gonzalez missed a 3-pointer that could have tied the game.
Wendell Preadom scored 19 points on 9-for-10 shooting for Houston Baptist, and Gonzalez had 15 points and six rebounds.
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 68
HOUSTON BAPTIST 65 FINAL
Dec 14 10:40 PM
- NCAA BB
SANTA CLARA 39
HOUSTON BAPTIST 34 HALFTIME
Dec 14 9:20 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Houston Baptist tops NCCAA Crowley's Ridge 102-62 Nov 16
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Michigan State cruises past Santa Clara Nov 25
- Broncos hit road seeking upset of Spartans Nov 24
- No. 24 Gonzaga tops Santa Clara to open WCC play Dec 28
- Gonzaga opens WCC slate against visiting Santa Clara Dec 28