Catawba 81, N.C.-Asheville 94Dec 16, 2009 - 3:06 AM ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- D.J. Cunningham had career highs with 21 points and 12 rebounds and North Carolina-Asheville rallied to defeat Catawba 94-81 on Tuesday night.
John Williams added 19 points on 8-for-10 shooting from the field for the Bulldogs (3-6), who won their third straight game after opening the season 0-6.
Catawba (5-4), a Division II school, rallied from a 14-point first-half deficit to lead 43-42 at the break.
UNC-Asheville, which trailed by as many as six points in the second half, pulled ahead at 56-54 on a Cunningham layup. After the Indians regained a four-point lead, the Bulldogs used a 12-2 run to lead 69-63 with 7:50 left.
UNC-Asheville shot a season-high 58.7 percent (37-for-63) from the field, improving from its previous best of 49.2 percent (32-of-65) in a 100-49 win over Montreat on Sunday.
Dominick Reid led Catawba with 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting.
- Parker and Duke beat up UNC-Asheville Nov 18
- Duke entertains UNC Asheville in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 18
- No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC-Asheville by 32 Nov 8
- No. 1 Kentucky opens season against UNC Asheville Nov 8
- UNC Asheville tabs McDevitt as men's basketball coach Apr 26
- Biedenbach resigns as UNC Asheville head coach Apr 3
- Thompson and Thomas help Buckeyes down Bulldogs Dec 15
- Bulldogs face unenviable task against seventh-ranked Buckeyes Dec 15
- No. 16 NC State squeaks past UNC-Asheville Nov 23
- No. 16 Wolfpack set to pounce on Bulldogs Nov 23
- Syracuse avoids scare, advances past Bulldogs Mar 15
- Top-seeded Orange begin tournament play against Bulldogs Mar 15