Wake Forest 80, N.C.-Wilmington 69Dec 17, 2009 - 2:38 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- L.D. Williams scored a career-high 23 points, and Al-Farouq Aminu had 17 points, 13 rebounds and the highlight-reel play in Wake Forest's 80-69 victory over North Carolina-Wilmington on Wednesday night.
Ishmael Smith matched a personal best with 19 points while answering several Seahawk rallies with slicing layups, and Williams was 8-for-8 from the free-throw line in the final 1 1/2 minutes for the Demon Deacons (7-2).
They shook off a sloppy start, shot nearly 54 percent and turned back several rallies to win their third straight overall and 12th in a row against the Seahawks (4-6).
Chad Tomko scored 12 points and nearly brought UNC Wilmington back from a 15-point deficit. The Seahawks had won three of four, were playing host to an Atlantic Coast Conference team for just the third time and were denied their first victory against one of those programs in 17 years.
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 80
UNC WILMINGTON 69 FINAL
Dec 16 9:20 PM
- NCAA BB
WAKE FOREST 37
UNC WILMINGTON 30 HALFTIME
Dec 16 7:52 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Wake Forest suspends Thomas, dismisses Hudson from hoop team Feb 19
- 'It just hurts': Frustrated Wake Forest hopes for turnaround Jan 27
- Wilbekin, Crawford taking on bigger role at Wake Forest Nov 4
- Wake Forest suspends Hudson, Watson from hoop team Oct 31
- Wake expects improvement in Manning's second season Oct 26
- Wake Forest Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Wake Forest G Miller-McIntyre out 4-6 weeks with broken foot Oct 19