Alawoya scores 18; McNeese St. beats Tulane 61-57Dec 17, 2009 - 4:08 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- P.J. Alawoya scored 18 points and Elbryan Neal's layup put McNeese State ahead to stay in a 61-57 win over Tulane on Wednesday night.
Neal's basket with 2:34 remaining put the Cowboys (4-5) in front 53-51 after the Green Wave (3-6) rallied from a 49-38 deficit with 5:56 to play.
Alawoya added a free throw to put McNeese State ahead 54-51 with 1:57 left, but Kris Richard, who led Tulane with 23 points, answered with a jumper to make it 54-53 at the 1:32 mark. Diego Kapelan then nailed a 3-pointer, his first points of the game, for a 57-53 lead with 59 seconds left.
After two McNeese free throws and one by Tulane, the Green Wave pulled within 59-57 on a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left by Kevin Sims, who scored 14 of his 18 points in the second half.
Alawoya's two free throws with 7 seconds left clinched it for McNeese.
Stephan Martin added 15 points for the Cowboys.
- Tulane's Dunleavy explains decision to try college now Mar 29
- Ex-NBA coach Dunleavy Sr. takes first college job at Tulane Mar 28
- Tulane AD: Ed Conroy out as Tulane men's basketball coach Mar 14
- St. John's buries Tulane to continue roll Dec 28
- Tulane challenges No. 17 St. John's Dec 28
- No. 13 UW pulls away from Tulane Dec 23
- Green Wave hoping to hand Huskies first loss of season Dec 22
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- Six players to leave Tulane Apr 5